The History of the Manor House
Shady, surrounded by fields small and medium landowners courts formed Polish landscape until the outbreak of World War II. The picture of Baroque and then Classicist aristocratic residence with a porch supported by columns, was made a symbol of the family nest by Polish romantic literature.
The Moscibrody name derives from the need of preparing fords to cross the swampy low valley of Muchawka and its right creek Zbuczynka. The area still gives such an impression, while travelling along the road towards Lukow, which was built on the causeway between Bialki and Moscibrody. This does not mean, however, that etymologists have nothing to say in this matter. Well, in some documents from 1511,Bartholomew of Marscibrody appears. So, recognizing the importance of the crossings, the name of the town could be formed because of rolling water on fords. Nowadays, the village is often called Maścibrody. Moscibrody village is located in the northern part of the historic Lukow land . The first mention of the village is in the inventory of Borkowski goods from 1529. The village was settled by landed gentry.
In the 2nd half of the 18th century Moscibrody village was the part of the Wisniew county, and it’s administrator was Prince Stanislaw Jablonowski. The village belonged to Adam Jastrzebski. In 1780, the part of it was sold by his sons to Sebastian Jastrzebski. Further successions and marriages gave the administration of the village to Jastrzebski and then Borkowski family. In the 19th century the Manor was administrated by the Jarzab family, while the Moscibrody village was the property of the government. In 1827, the village had 135 people in 27 homes and in 1883 there were 134 residents in 10 homes. It shows that there were no signifficant demographical changes, but the assets were devastated. The Manor House in Moscibrody was built in the 40’s of the 19th century, founded by the Jarzab family. With the creation of the manor, the brick Manor was also built (c. 1848.). Beautiful surroundings, slightly rolling terrain, moist soil, perfect for the park plantings and numerous ponds rich in carps, encouraged the pretty vigorous flourishing of this place. This period did not last too long. In 1863, Andrzej Jarzab’s belongings were confiscated for his participation in the January Uprising. The family, in order to keep the property, signed the property over to Joseph, who was not involved in the uprising.
In the battle of Siemiatycze, where the Russian army was commanded by General Niestrujew Maniukin, called the Carnifex of Podlasie, Andrew Jarzab was killed. General Maniukin appeared in Moscibrody and ordered its contribution. The Russians took horses, pigs, sheep, and the carps from the ponds. After the last battle near Zyrzyn in August 1863, the family was concentrated within a half mansion and after a few days they moved to Grabianow, while General Niestrujew Maniukin stayed in Moscibrody.
After creating, in 1867, Siedlce consulate, the farm was given to General Maniukin according to Supreme Ordinance of 1867. After his death in 1882, the estate passed legally to his son Nicholas Zacharewicz Maniukin – Cavalry Captain of the Lancers. He had been there until 1915 – the time of evacuation, which was related to the outbreak of the World War I.
In the summer of 1915, the Maniukin family took a long journey to Russia, leaving all their possessions in Moscibrody. Abandoned in 1915, the property was occupied by the Germans. After the withdrawal of their troops in 1918, the farm was taken over by the Polish state. In the interwar period it was leased by Stanislaw Gloger, taking care mainly about its economic development. During the World War II German troops stationed here. The Manor was transformed to Liegenschaft protected by the gendarmerie. There were also attempts of rubber cultivation for military purposes.
Liegenschaft was the target of requisition made in 1942 by the members of the first section militias No. 105 clandestine organization ‘Sword and Plow’ from Siedlce. Hen eggs and sugar requisitioned by the occupants were placed in the outhouse. Here farmers were given vodka and sugar quotas for eggs provision. The goods were transported to the mill in Rakowiec. Its owner, Zbucki, distributed them later through the conspiracy channels. After the war, the farm became state-owned. The Manor was gradually crumbling and becoming desolate.
Since 2000, the property has been owned by private owners, who at the last moment saved it from the total ruin. Manor house and farm buildings after a major reconstruction have not lost the old style and class. Mansion was restored with particular attention to architectural details during its heyday. The renovated and carefully maintained, it invites us to reflect on the sad fate of so many other mansions waiting to rekindle and restore their former glory.